Pages

Monday, October 6, 2008

Homemade Pizza & Sauce


I came home today and decided I'd make a pizza, from scratch - including sauce. I would NOT recommend doing this on a school night. I would suggest making this on a weekend, when you have the time :) It is very good, and should be enjoyed!

Okay, the crust. I just took the recipe off the back of a package of yeast and modified it a tiny bit.

1 envelope active dry yeast
1 cup warm water
2 1/2 to 3 cups all purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon sugar

Soften yeast in warm water, in a mixing bowl. Add 2 cups flour, salt and oil. Stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough. Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth, about 4 to 6 minutes.

Place in greased bowl; cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 to 45 minutes. Punch dough down. Pat dough into a greased large pizza pan. Top with desired toppings (I used turkey pepperoni, red onions and a 5 cheese blend). Bake at 400 degrees for 20 to 30 minutes or until done.

And the sauce - I followed this recipe,114392, from Recipe Zaar.

Ingredients

  • 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried basil leaves
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 whole bay leaf
  • 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice

Directions

  1. Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan.
  2. Cook over medium heat until sauce starts to boil.
  3. Lower heat and simmer, covered,for 30 to 45 minutes or until it is as thick as you like it.
  4. Makes enough for 2 pizzas.

1 comment:

Jaime said...

mmm i love homemade pizza! this looks delicious