Pages

Friday, October 14, 2011

Birthday cake cheats

I love to make cakes, but I'm not baker.  And CERTAINLY not a decorator.  Yet, I still love making cakes.  I thought it would be fun to share some of the, uh, creative ways I've decorated cakes :)

This is my oldest son's 2nd birthday train cake.  Looks pretty cute, right?


http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2619/4214080767_48e9ef80ba_z.jpg 

You should have seen my kitchen.  And everyone's mouths after eating that... Yeah.  

This is the Cars cake from his 3rd birthday.  11th hour and the sides of this cake looked like a hot mess.  But I saved it using cut outs from one of those birthday party decorator packs.


http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4141/4778632551_f9668b6e12_z.jpg 

:)  Again, guests don't appreciate the colored frosting... I use the gel stuff but yeah, it's still HORRIBLE!  

And this is my second son's 1st birthday cake.  He loves to make music so I was going to decorate his cake myself, you know, by piping frosting.  I scraped that stuff off at least 5 times because it just looked like well, a one year old decorated the cake.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5258/5485501087_01ee321518_z.jpg


Quick trip to the Wal-Mart craft section and voila... stickers.  I did have to tell the guests not to eat them.  Good thing I have understanding guests.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5125/5340177198_bbe258fd37_z.jpg

And this  batman cake I made for a friends son.  It looks pretty good right, for an amateur at least. 


Yeah, that was the 2nd attempt.  The first one looked like this:


http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5169/5325639291_aa199d5f7c_z.jpg 

Batman doesn't mind pink, does he?



No comments: