Someday I want to have this blog made into a recipe book for my son, for our grandkids and such. I think it would be a really really neat gift. So, I'm going to start including some of our "secret" family recipes. The first is my Great-Grandmothers recipe for wilted lettuce. My Dad RAVES about this. It is pretty darn good and since it's a "salad" you can pretend it's healthy.
4 cups shredded lettuce
6 slices bacon, diced
1/2 cup water
salt
1 small onion, minced
1/4 cup vinegar
4 tablespoons sugar
pepper
Brown bacon in frying-pan. Remove bacon. Combine with lettuce and onion. Combine venegar, water and bacon fat. Heat to boiling. Add seasonings and sugar. Combine with lettuce mixture. Serve at once. You can also add a hard boiled egg (or two).
1 comment:
My mom used to make this when I was growing up. Oh, how I loved it!
Post a Comment