I found this wonderful recipe on Fun Foods on a Budget, a blog I happened upon today and it was WONDERFUL. I wasn't feeling making cornbread, so this was a wonderful addition to the Chili that was waiting for me in the crock pot when I got home.
5-6 cups all-purpose flour (you can substitute whole wheat flour for 1 or 2 cups)
1 tbsp. yeast
2 tbsp. sugar
1 tbsp. salt
2 cups hot water (120-130 degrees)
1 tbsp sesame or poppy seeds (optional)
Mix 4 cups of the flour with the yeast, sugar and salt. Pour in hot water and beat 100 strokes, or 3 minutes with a mixer. Stir in the remaining flour until the dough is no longer sticky. Knead 8 minutes. Place the dough in a greased bowl and cover with a damp towel. Let rise 15 minute (can you believe that?! 15 minutes!). Punch down and shape into two round loaves. Place on a baking sheet and cut an X or a few slashes 1/2 inch deep on top with a sharp knife. If desired, brush with water and sprinkle with seeds.
Place on the middle shelf of a cold oven. Place a cake pan of hot water on the lowest shelf. Heat the oven to 400 degrees and bake 40 to 50 minutes until deep golden brown.
Freshly baked bread with homemade Chili on a cold day, what could be better? How about a clear picture of said Chili? LOL I guess I'll have to leave the food photography to the pros :)
2 comments:
wow, that homemade bread looks perfect with chili!
This sounds like the perfect meal! That bread sounds heavenly :).
Thanks for joining our blogroll :)
Sophie
KI Chief Blogger
Post a Comment